Sunday, March 28, 2010

I'm Still At It

I have been a busy guy these last couple of weeks. Our construction company had a booth at the local Home and Garden show last weekend and I attended a Lead Renovator Certification class this weekend. With all the other work going on, I didn't feel like I was getting much quality time with my camera, but, looking back on the time period, I did get some shooting practice in.
At first it was just the same old "get the camera out when the kids are being cute" routine. And a few before and after shots of a bathroom I taped and textured for a customer. But then Alicia brought me along on a portrait shoot of our friends, John and Kim. Alicia actually used more than one of my pictures in her blog post from that session. I also got to shoot more jewelry with my friend Bob as well, and the things I had learned from the first go 'round with him a couple of weeks ago sped our most recent shoot up tremendously.
The most amazing one for me was getting to work with Alicia to take pictures of a wedding design that Sara and Sharon from Serendipity Events put together just for us. They even brought a model bride and groom (real people!) with every detail planned and executed just so. The light was beautiful and we really enjoyed getting to take the photos at a nice mellow pace.
I have been feeling more confident this last week in my ability as a photographer, but each new experience emphasizes to me the need to work on one aspect or another of my skill set. Last week I noticed that I need to not always leave my aperture quite so tight all the time or I end up with shots that would be truly great except that a critical area is blurry. So I am learning in low pressure situations and enjoying it all. I keep coming back to the idea that pictures are truly everywhere, and it simply up to me to find them and frame them well.
One other thing I am looking forward to is the arrival of our new copy of Jesh De Rox's "Beloved Field Guide". If you are a people photographer, you should check out what this guy has going on. He sees people in such a full way that his pictures just naturally show the inner beauty of his subjects. His website is amazing, and some of the music on it is by a lady I worked with at Big Sky Bible Camp a long time ago named Amy Seeley. Her songs are deep and moving.
I am planning in the not-too-distant future to start shooting portrait sessions when Alicia is too busy with the new baby to be able to shoot for awhile. I am hoping to set up a couple of practice sessions before that, so don't be surprised if I call and ask if you would be willing to be my guinea pig!

"There's so much beauty around us for just two eyes to see. And everywhere I go, I'm looking."
-Rich Mullins, "Here in America", Liturgy Legacy album












Which is your favorite image? Feel free to leave a comment!

6 comments:

  1. I love love LOVE the one of the three kids with the hula hoop. Way to capture a great moment with a clue to personality tied in. I also love the B&W with sticks in the water. It seems I should be able to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. not the last one of silhouettes but the three above it. The perspective of your little one is wonderful and he is so genuine and I love the two of the couple above - the framing especially.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That one of Eli in the yard is cute-- except the part where the gob of snot is smeared across his face! Is that where photoshop comes in?? ;)

    Seriously, though, I really like the ones where you're above the kiddos and they are looking up at you. I'm going to try that.

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorites are the ones with the groom's hands, and the one where the bride and groom are nose to nose and the one of Kimberly and John with her eyes closed, I love that one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so difficult to choose one favorite!! I really love the bouquet being held by a hand next to a dress - what a lovely way to set it off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comments everyone. I really like the second-to-last black and white one with John and Kim, but I don't know if I can honestly call just one my favorite.

    ReplyDelete